Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/jorkand1/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Car Wars (split from the intro thread)
heroesonly.net
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 09:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2160 Posts in 308 Topics by 70 Members
Latest Member: abouchard
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  heroesonly.net
|-+  Games
| |-+  Board Games
| | |-+  Car Wars (split from the intro thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Car Wars (split from the intro thread)  (Read 3924 times)
KLN

haihachimishima@yahoo.com JehutyFrameADA haihachimishima
View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:45:52 AM »

Do tell us about this "Car Wars".  I may have an idea what you're talking about...

qatesiurade

They go where I tell them to go..

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 06:50:57 AM »

Do tell us about this "Car Wars".  I may have an idea what you're talking about...

It's a good old Steve Jackson game. Basically, you generate an imaginary car (kind of like character generation in an RPG) and customize the hell out of it with armor, weapons, accessories (personally, I never created a car without an armored beer refrigerator, but that's just me), make sure you have room for a driver, and then you run an imaginary race along a preset track with other players. Attack the other cars with whatever you've got -- flamethrowers, grenades, caltrops, oil slicks. It's a death race. Played with little pieces of paper and a lot of numbers.

Hours of (almost) mindless fun and savagery!

*Sniff* I'm getting plumb nostalgic!

Mystical additions and subtractions always come out the way you want. -- Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum
CuCulain42
Administrator

Cliff Clavin of the boards

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:56:49 AM »

Car Wars is a fun game. I was always fond of the super heavy armor and battering ram combo.

Boat wars was fun too, though some of the movement was a bit strange especially when you used hovercraft.

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.- Philip K Dick (1928-1982)

Every time someone brings up realism in a FRPG discussion a catgirl is struck dead. Please think of the catgirls.
qatesiurade

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »

I never played Boat Wars. We took Car Wars to the ridiculous extreme toward the end of my junior year -- we all gave ourselves unlimited budgets to make our dream cars. I made a terrifying Winnebago war wagon and maxed out on armor and only had caltrops/oil for any serious defense and won on some lucky rolls. Took a lot of damage, that War Wagon. I always wished it was real.

Fuel consumption would have been a mother, though. Sigh.

Does anyone have this game? I'm starting to want to play again.

Mystical additions and subtractions always come out the way you want. -- Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum
CuCulain42
Administrator

Cliff Clavin of the boards

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

I have both the Car Wars and Boat Wars box sets plus several issues of Uncle Al's catalog and at least one of the car show catalogs. Just a matter of digging them out of storage.

Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.- Philip K Dick (1928-1982)

Every time someone brings up realism in a FRPG discussion a catgirl is struck dead. Please think of the catgirls.
qatesiurade

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »

I have both the Car Wars and Boat Wars box sets plus several issues of Uncle Al's catalog and at least one of the car show catalogs. Just a matter of digging them out of storage.

I'd be more than happy to lend you a shovel!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: