Retail Best Practices Award Winners Announced at 2012 Summit
•Most Improved Retail Display – Heroes Only Comics & Games in Cheyenne, WY
The winners for the first inaugural Diamond Retail Best Practices Awards (BPAs) were announced during the dinner portion of Diamond’s Retailer Summit in Chicago on April 12. Diamond’s own Executive Director – Business Development, Chris Powell, served as master of ceremonies.
The Diamond BPAs have been established to identify and honor comic book specialty retailers that demonstrate “best practices” in their stores, thereby offering their patrons and community a consistently appealing shopping experience. All comic book and specialty hobby store retailers serviced by Diamond were invited to nominate their store for Diamond BPA consideration by submitting photos of the area(s) of their shop they wish to nominate and a written statement (of no more than 500 words) explaining why they believe their store is deserving of the award. Throughout the morning and afternoon on April 12, retailers attending the Summit were then given the opportunity to review the entries and then cast their vote.
And the initial Best Practices Award winners are:
- Best Window Display - Level Up Entertainment in Mays Landing, NJ
- Best Counter Display – Heroes and Villains in Hampton, VA
- Best New Comics Section – Comic Central in Sanford, FL
- Best Graphic Novels Section – KINGS Comics in Sydney, Australia
- Best Kids Section – Happy Harbor Comics in Edmonton, Alberta
- Best Toys Section – Space Cadets Collection in Oak Ridge North, TX
- Best Movie or Themed Boutique – Krypton Comics in Omaha, NE
- Best Out of the Box Game Display – Lone Star Comics in Mesquite, TX
- Best T-Shirt Display – Generation X Comics in Bedford, TX
- Most Improved Retail Display – Heroes Only Comics & Games in Cheyenne, WY
“The entries for the first ten Best Practices Awards were all impressive, as I think retailers learned firsthand while reviewing the photos and explanations of the store’s merits in a given category,” said Diamond Director of Marketing Dan Manser, shown below with the winners in attendance. “Diamond wishes to congratulate the 10 winners and thank all those that submitted their photos and write-ups. Feedback I’ve received indicates that the BPAs achieved their goal of spotlighting the stores that best represent the unique retail experience only direct market stores can offer consumers, simultaneously providing fellow retailers with some great ideas of what they cany do and accomplish in their own shops.”
After announcing the winners in these first ten categories, Powell reminded retailers that new BPA categories would be announced, which should help establish a new tradition of honoring some of the world’s most outstanding shops with this industry award voted upon by those that drive it.